Re: [2.6.25-rc5-mm1] BUG: spinlock bad magic early during boot

From: Éric Piel
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 20:15:53 EST

:
> So what's the reason for pushing for this insanely-early workaround in the
> first place, instead of letting user-space do something like
>
> cat my-dsdt-image > /proc/sys/acpi/DSDT
>
> or whatever at runtime?
Yeah, or probably more something like this nowadays ;-)
cat my-dsdt-image > /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT

As I said in my previous email, I'm already convinced that late-override
of ACPI table approach would be very interesting to investigate.
However, this cannot be taken lightly. A _lot_ of places in the kernel
depend on the ACPI and nothing has ever been done in the direction of
dynamic modification of the APCI tables. The implementation is likely to
be much bigger than the current 100 lines of patch.

That said, it should be possible to draw some assumptions without
restraining much the functionality. Such as:
* every object present in the original table is still present is the
new table
* they keep the same name

Len, do you think it would be feasible? How do you think the
implementation could be done?

Eric