Poor performance now? Please, put weighted velocities ctxts/s to the sched.decision!

From: J.C. Pizarro
Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 - 16:29:47 EST

[1] "Performance changes between 2.6.13 and 2.6.23"
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/25/102
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Sanders, Rob M. <sanders-rob@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Of more particular concern, the main application that I build has seen a 4-5X
> slowdown in performance. Under YDL4.0.91 I could process roughly 1e8 data
> points in ~2 seconds, and under YDL6.0 I now process 1e8 data points in
> ~8 seconds. Total CPU loading (from top) is about 5%, under both systems.
> YDL4.0.91 system is context switching about 7000 per interval, whereas the
> YDl6 system is context switching about 1200 times per interval.

It's the velocity, ctxts/interval, a parameter not recognized by the scheduler.

I said them to put the proposal of putting the counters and velocities fields
to the task's struct for the scheduler can take a good decision, the past month.

More weight in higher ctxts/s for the scheduler=> more interactivity.

[2] "Re: Serious performance regression in Wine applications and Linux 2.6.24.*"
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/25/181
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:49:13 -0700, "Ray Lee" wrote:
> Andi's idea of looking for excessive context switches is good -- I
> didn't see a response to that one. Other than that, if you're only
> noticing the issue in 3d games, then it could be several things (not
> just the scheduler).

The kernel needed the velocity parameter to gain it: ctxts per interval
(normally ctxts/s or ctxts/minute).

The proposal of the past month was here:

"Please, put 64-bit counter per task and incr.by.one each ctxt switch."
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/23/398
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/23/401
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/23/406
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/24/1
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/24/103
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/24/157
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/26/159

My proposal is free for yours, quasi-bastards, I won't charge you!

J.C.Pizarro