Re: larger default page sizes...

From: David Miller
Date: Wed Mar 26 2008 - 19:21:54 EST

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:56:17 -0700 (PDT)

> One should emphasize that this test was a kernel compile which is not
> a load that gains much from larger pages.

Actually, ever since gcc went to a garbage collecting allocator, I've
found it to be a TLB thrasher.

It will repeatedly randomly walk over a GC pool of at least 8MB in
size, which to fit fully in the TLB with 4K pages reaquires a TLB with
2048 entries assuming gcc touches no other data which is of course a
false assumption.

For some compiles this GC pool is more than 100MB in size.

GCC does not fit into any modern TLB using it's base page size.