Re: DMA not working on SATA?

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 01:20:40 EST

Alex Bennee wrote:
Hi,

Since I got my new machine I noticed it seemed to be running slower than
I expected for a duel core machine including a lot of stuttering. After
tweaking the BIOS settings from "Legacy" to "AHCI" I measured a doubling
of read performance with hdparm but heavy IO still makes the machine
sluggish, with top showing ~80% of the time in the wait state (and
loadavg shooting up). This seems like a DMA problem because I was under
the impression a task demanding IO should be able to sleep on a DMA
completion rather than blocking everything else.

That's not what IOwait means. It basically means "nothing better to do than wait for IO to complete". If you have only one running task which is blocked waiting for IO you will always have high IOwait.