Re: tg3 bad performance, lots of hardware interrupts

From: Harald Hannelius
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 14:09:40 EST

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Michael Chan wrote:

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 19:37 +0200, Harald Hannelius wrote:
# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0 CPU1
0: 111 1 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 0 2 IO-APIC-edge i8042
2: 0 0 XT-PIC-XT cascade
5: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi sata_nv
7: 856 51 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb2
10: 0 3 IO-APIC-fasteoi sata_nv, ehci_hcd:usb1
11: 4305 7 IO-APIC-fasteoi sata_nv
12: 0 4 IO-APIC-edge i8042
216: 4217 128932 PCI-MSI-edge eth2
217: 161107 685351 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
NMI: 0 0 Non-maskable interrupts
LOC: 2380762 2619917 Local timer interrupts
RES: 3000 3269 Rescheduling interrupts
CAL: 16 31 function call interrupts
TLB: 64 111 TLB shootdowns
TRM: 0 0 Thermal event interrupts
SPU: 0 0 Spurious interrupts
ERR: 1
MIS: 0

Well, shared or not, yes and no. I think that /proc/interrupts
contains
soft-interrupts. The problem child is interface eth2.

As rapported by ifconfig the interface is on IRQ 5:

eth2 is using MSI. When using MSI, the IRQ reported by ifconfig is not
accurate. You said you have tried booting with nomsi, but have you
confirmed that by checking /proc/interrupts?

I did, at least the interface wasn't on MSI-edge anymore. I cannot remember what IRQ the NIC took when booted with pci=nomsi (something like that), it could have been 10 or other IRQ below 20, if I recall correctly.

--
A: Top Posters! | s/y Charlotta |