Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

From: Michael Cree
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 05:13:15 EST

Rene Herman wrote:
On 25-03-08 02:22, Michael Cree wrote:

should do it. Here's a file Bob passed me as a problematic one. 8-bit, 11025, mono:

http://members.home.nl/rene.herman/asskickd.wav

Right, got that. On the PWS600au it shows the same problems that Bob describes! When I play it with aplay (through the es1887) I get the last "pal" repeated at the end. When I play it with sox (also through the es1887) I get the words "current event" repeated at the end.

Lovely, so different problem between you and Bob. When you (either of you) have some time for it again, could you try:

$ sox asskickd.wav -w -t alsa hw

Exactly the same as without the -w option. (BTW, I would've never have guessed the -w option; my man file has -2 for conversion to 16 bit.)

$ sox asskickd.wav -w -r 44100 -t alsa hw

The words "current event" are no longer repeated at the end of playing. There is a click at the end of playing - hard to know whether it started to repeat something or whether it is truly at the end of the sound file.

$ sox asskickd.wav -w -r 44100 -c 2 -t alsa hw

Repeats the "al" bit of the last word "pal" at the end of playing.

I suspect you are right - the symptoms I have observed (complete system crashes) are separate from what Bob observes. One question I have is what is different about Bob's set up that enables the sound to work with mmap?

Not a clue. Takashi -- is it possible that Bob wasn't using mmap to being with if he didn't do anything specific to not do so?

And perhaps you guys have firmware settable options that touch that area of coherent DMA? Maybe even a specific chipset bug on his machine? No idea how different/similar your machines are...

I have another PWS600au - a little older than the one I was testing on. It is slightly different in that its scsi controller is a separate board in a PCI slot, rather than on the motherboard. Also has an ESS1888 rather than an ESS1887. Just installed the same OS and kernel on it.

Tried playing sound. What a mess. Crashes with mmap on. Installed the patch turning off mmap. Just produces buzzes and fart noises whatever sound file I try to play; both with aplay and sox.

Michael.