Re: Western Digital GreenPower drives and Linux

From: devzero
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 18:37:00 EST

i also have such a drive (damn, if i knew that saving some Watts would hurt...) - and i measured ~100 load_cycle_count per hour, which is _way_ to much, imho.
if we trust the spec, the disk would be dead after ~1year.

it seems that "intellipark" is not that intelligent as it should be and a little bit too agressive.

from what i have found, the time for parking the heads is much below the linux kernel flush interval (which seems to be at 30secs), so i think the best thing to do is tuning either dirty_expire_centisecs and dirty_writeback_centisecs (defaults to 3000/500 on my system) or tune the disk parking interval , so that the disks own interval is greater than the linux flush interval.

i also openend an SR at WD - will see if they will recommend that dos utility, too.

>I got back from WD's tech support and received a DOS utility which can control
>this drive feature, apparently using vendor specific commands. With it head
>unload timer can be disabled or set to a period between 100ms and 25.5s.

doh - so that disk always is faster with parking it`s heads than linux default flush interval !?
btw - is that dos utility available for download somewhere?

regards
roland