Re: TALPA - a threat model? well sorta.

From: david
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 08:22:21 EST

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:

Now this to me we have a few basic building blocks:
1) We need an efficient mechanism to notify userspace of files that get
dirtied. Virus scanners will subscribe to this for the async dirty
scanning; indexing agents also will subscribe to this.

ACK.

I think few people will disagree about this.

Open questions now are
4) do we have the kernel kick off an async scan in open() or do we have
glibc do this
5) do we have the kernel do the sync scan on read/mmap/.. or do we have
glibc do this

How does it work? Memory can still change after mmap; scanning at the
mmap time is _NOT_ enough.

You could do 'when app attempts to dirty memory, synchronously unmap
it from all apps that have it mapped' and then do sync scan on
pagefault time; but that sounds impractical.

what is the threat you are trying to defend against?

for some threats you are right, for others the scan at mmap time is enough.

David Lang