Re: [malware-list] scanner interface proposal was: [TALPA] Intro toa linux interface for on access scanning

From: david
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 13:39:21 EST

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 17:15 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
read -> we have the ALLOW/mark result bit in core set so just allow.

Don't think we need this - SELinux can do that bit

mtime update -> clear ALLOW/"mark result" bit in core, send async
notification to userspace

Why via the kernel ?

the single in core allow/deny bit is so that the vast majority of
operations are completely free. Say we scan/index /lib/ld-linux.so.2
once. Do you really want every single read/mmap operation from then on
to have to block waiting for the userspace caches of you HSM, your AV
scanner, and you indexer? If all three tell the kernel they don't need
to see it again and that information is easy and free to maintain, lets
do it.

this is why the proposal caches the results of all the scanners with the file (in the xattrs), rather then having each scanner store it's own scan results

David Lang