"make prepare" in 2.6.26.2 not behaving?

From: Stuart Sheldon
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 23:50:55 EST

Hey all, think I found a little bug...

I recently was attempting to build 3rd party modules on a 2.6.26.2 source tree after a "make clean" was run on the kernel source tree.

In the past I would run "make oldconfig prepare scripts" and then build and install the 3rd party module. All would work as expected.

And all started well with the 2.6.26.2 tree. The module built without error, but when I went to load it, it responded back with a version error on the console, and the dmesg was: "no symbol version for struct_module".

If I rebuild the entire kernel and modules in the source tree and then build the 3rd party module again, It builds and loads without issue.

I'm hoping this is a bug, as I use the prepare method of setting up source trees a lot. It saves me hours of time on my server farm.

Thanks in advance for listening,

Stuart Sheldon