Re: vfat BKL/lock_super regression in v2.6.26-rc3-g8f59342

From: Bart Trojanowski
Date: Tue Aug 19 2008 - 20:18:56 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [080819 18:19]:
> And I think you hit this issue because you probably mounted the USB stick
> as a "sync" (or dirsync) mount - which is what some distros do by default,
> even if it is known to cause problems for some flash cards that don't do a
> good job at wear levelling.

Hmm... I was considering the costs and benefits of sync mounts. I don't
care about the performance hit, as I don't move that much data around.
Primarily, I like the fact that I can pull the media out w/o any special
action (which sometimes requires that I unlock my screensaver first).
But, on the other hand, it's nice to have the media last longer.

So, maybe it would be a good idea to have a 'delaysync=60' to force a
sync after 60 seconds of inactivity. Unless, there is something else
that would do that for me already.

Thoughts?

-Bart

--