Re: AGP and PAT (induced?) problem (on AMD family 6)

From: Rene Herman
Date: Wed Aug 20 2008 - 06:49:24 EST

On 20-08-08 12:04, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Venki Pallipadi <venkatesh.pallipadi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'd really like a reply from the AGP or PAT side right about now.
Hmm. Looks like there are more than 16000 entries in the PAT list!

hm, btw., why is that?

Because 64M of AGP memory divided by 4K pages is 16K. That is, the underlying problem seems to be AGP drivers using order 0 allocations. I'm looking.

Do note also that this means that Venki's change would not constitite a correct/final fix. Sure, caching the last entry speeds up traversing a 16K entry list but the issue is that there shouldn't be a 16K entry list. Through AGP, or maybe even by coalescing entries in the PAT list if that's at all possible (I guess it's not really).

Even if such a more fundamental fix isn't (easily) available, the PAT code already comments that the list, which is sorted by ->start value, is expected to be short, and should be turned into an rbtree if it isn't which might be slightly less of a bandaid.

Dave Airlie (as the MAINTAINERS entry) can't be arsed to answer email it seems so I've added Dave Jones for a possible comment from the AGP side.
If I'm reading this right upto now, still many AGP driver (among which my amd-k7-agp) are affected.

In the short run and if I'm not just mistaken, the best fix might be to make PAT dependent on not having a dumb AGP driver (but as said, still looking).

Note that my chipset is capable of a 2G AGP aperture. That's 512K pages if fully used, 256K for 1G, 128K for 512M, ...

Rene.