Re: [GIT]: Networking

From: Marcel Holtmann
Date: Wed Aug 20 2008 - 11:40:27 EST

Hi Linus,

> > > again, my current understanding was that updates to the documentation
> > > that would help people to navigate and understand the kernel better and
> > > make it easier for them to do bug reports etc. are always welcome and
> > > should be pushed immediately. Same goes for new drivers that would
> > > enable people to use their hardware.
> >
> > This is my (current) understanding as well. If that is not the case,
> > then someone should clarify.
>
> Guys, which part of "it wasn't any individual commit" didn' you
> understand?
>
> Why are you concentrating on one documentation commit that I didn't even
> point to?
>
> But that said - no, I don't think there is any reason to even push
> documentation commits, unless there is a real and pressing reason (ie the
> documentation is really important or will really matter from a future
> merge standpoint). I generally won't complain about them, but I also don't
> see the point.
>
> I'd _much_ rather see you guys queue it up for future merges.

John was just pointing out (like myself before) that a lot of people are
under the impression that documentation updates and new drivers should
not be queued up and merged as soon as possible.

I am really fine either way. Queuing them up is not a problem and you
made your point that you don't wanna see them after -rc1. That is fair
enough, but it really needs to be spelled our here since the overall
consensus is different. I will not send any of these do Dave anymore
after the merge window.

Regards

Marcel