Re: Major stalls due to commit 7c5026aa9b81dd45df8d3f4e0be73e485976a8b6

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Wed Aug 20 2008 - 11:57:30 EST

On (20/08/08 08:06), Michael Chan didst pronounce:
> Mel Gorman wrote:
>
> > I had the pleasure of getting hold of one of these machines
> > http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/powerstation/ and
> > after some
> > tinkering installed 2.6.27-rc3. However, it was way slower and jerkier
> > (keyboard input for example would stop processing for up to 2 seconds)
> > than the distribution kernel. Network is a bit useless and
> > kernel builds
> > went from about 4 minutes to about 12 even when built
> > locally. I also noted
> > with NO_HZ enabled that a soft-lockup would be reported in a
> > timer related
> > to tg3. The card in question is
> >

> This has been fixed a few days ago by the patch:
>
> tg3: Fix firmware event timeouts
>
> in the net-2.6 git tree. Please try that to see if it fixes
> the problem. Thanks.

I've pasted that patch below for the convenience of anyone watching. It
doesn't apply cleanly to 2.6.27-rc3 but the merge is obvious. It does fix
the problem and as this is affects 2.6.26, you should consider pushing it
to stable if you are not doing so already. Thanks