Re: [discuss] memrlimit - potential applications that can use

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Wed Aug 20 2008 - 12:39:18 EST

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 15:25 +0200, righi.andrea@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Memory overcommit protection, instead, is a way to *prevent* OOM
> conditions (problem 1).

I completely disagree. :)

Think of all the work Eric Biederman did on pid namespaces. One of his
motivations was to keep /proc from being able to pin task structs. That
is one great example of a way a process can pin lots of memory without
mapping it, and overcommit has no effect on this!

Eric had a couple of other good examples, but I think task structs were
the biggest.

As I said to Balbir, there probably are some large-scale solutions to
this: things like beancounters.

-- Dave