Re: Compiling the kernel with VMware

From: Ben Nizette
Date: Fri Aug 22 2008 - 01:44:09 EST

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 23:02 -0500, Alex Zajac wrote:
> Hello,
> Currently, I wanted to begin work on the kernel, and as such, I need a
> way to compile it. All I have available to me is my XP Home computer
> (and I lack funds to buy another, so please do not just say, "get a
> Linux comp"). The specs are as follows:
> 1.4 Ghz Single-core processor
> 384 MB RAM
> 20 GB hard drive (5.5 GB free right now)
>
> Now, is there a way to compile the kernel using VMware Player? If so,
> what image would be the best to boot and use? Also, exactly what would
> I have to do to set up VMware and the image so that I could compile?

Probably not the right place for this kind of question..

But yes it can be done, get VMWare player, pick a distribution (any will
work, see, eg, distrowatch for comparisons) then follow distro-specific
instructions around the web. Note that being able to compile a C
program is enough to be able to compile the kernel (roughly).

--Ben.