Disabling hypervisor capability at boot

From: Florian Weimer
Date: Fri Aug 22 2008 - 08:43:54 EST

For various reasons, it might be desirable to disable hypervisor
capability during the system boot-up process.

It has been suggested to do this in user space. While I think it's fine
to trigger it from user space (in the sense that an additional boot
parameter makes no difference), I'm not convinced that the actual code
to disable the hypervisor capability should reside in user space. What
about architectures where this step can only performed from kernel mode?