Re: [malware-list] scanner interface proposal was: [TALPA] Intro linux interface for for access scanning

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Aug 22 2008 - 11:10:31 EST

Hi!

> Eric is viewing this through the AV point of view,
> this means
> He is thinking that any ability to avoid doing the scan
> is a security hole.

That's contrary to the threat model ('it is just a scanner').

(Plus you can't do it. mmap. Of course you can pass viruses between
two cooperating applications... and you can do it through filesystem,
too. And you probably can make un-cooperating network server serve
viruses, as long as the network server uses mmap.)

This is the thing that makes antivirus ugly, its unique to the
antivirus, plus it can't be done. I.e. bad goal.

Pavel