Re: [Hypervisors] TSC frequency change

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Date: Wed Oct 01 2008 - 05:50:31 EST

Alok Kataria wrote:
> Hi Gerd,
>
> As Zach explained, we support a view that, tsc is constant.

Ok, so the guest doesn't have to worry about possible tsc changes when
using that interface. Should go into the comment documenting the leaf.

> Coming back to the migration problem, as you too acknowledge, migration
> to a host with a different frequency should be seen as a different
> problem. I would be interested in learning about any proposal that you
> may have thought about to handle this.

xen paravirtualized is explained below.

xen full virtualized: dunno.

kvm: provide something else for timekeeping to avoid the tsc trouble
altogether if possible. hpet, pm_timer, paravirtualized clocksource.
Obviously can't work for all guests though. paravirtual clocksource
works like the xen one.

cheers,
Gerd