Re: [patch] mm: pageable memory allocator (for DRM-GEM?)

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Oct 03 2008 - 02:40:43 EST

On Friday 03 October 2008 15:17, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 10:15 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > At this point I think we should go ahead and include Eric's earlier
> > patchset into drm-next, and continue to refine the internals along the
> > lines of what you've posted here in the post-2.6.28 timeframe.
>
> Nick, in case you missed the plea here, we're asking if you have any
> objection to shipping the mm changes present in Eric's patch in 2.6.28.
> When your new pageable allocator becomes available, we'll switch over to
> using that instead and revert Eric's mm changes.

So long as we don't have to support the shmem exports for too long,
I'm OK with that. The pageable allocator probably is probably not a
2.6.28 merge candidate at this point, so I don't want to hold things
up if we have a definite way forward.

> We're ready to promise to support the user-land DRM interface going
> forward, and we've got lots of additional work queued up behind this
> merge. We'd prefer to push stuff a bit at a time rather than shipping a
> lot of new code in a single kernel release.

I would have liked to see more effort going towards building the user
API starting with a pseudo filesystem rather than ioctls, but that's
just my opinion after squinting at the problem from 100 metres away..
So I don't have a strong standing to demand a change here ;)

So, I'm OK with it for 2.6.28.

I think Christoph had some concerns with the patches, and I'd like to
hear that he's happy now. Christoph? Does the pageable allocator API
satisfy your concerns, or did you have other issues with it?

Thanks,
Nick