Re: [tbench regression fixes]: digging out smelly deadmen.

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sun Oct 26 2008 - 05:13:27 EST

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:00:48 +0100 Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 09:46 +0100, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> > > I have been currently looking at very similarly looking issue. For the
> > > public record, here are the numbers we have been able to come up with so
> > > far (measured with dbench, so the absolute values are slightly different,
> > > but still shows similar pattern)
> > >
> > > 208.4 MB/sec -- vanilla 2.6.16.60
> > > 201.6 MB/sec -- vanilla 2.6.20.1
> > > 172.9 MB/sec -- vanilla 2.6.22.19
> > > 74.2 MB/sec -- vanilla 2.6.23
> > > 46.1 MB/sec -- vanilla 2.6.24.2
> > > 30.6 MB/sec -- vanilla 2.6.26.1
> > >
> > > I.e. huge drop for 2.6.23 (this was with default configs for each
> > > respective kernel).

Was this when we decreased the default value of
/proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio, perhaps? dbench is sensitive to that.

> > > 2.6.23-rc1 shows 80.5 MB/s, i.e. a few % better than final 2.6.23, but
> > > still pretty bad.
> > >
> > > I have gone through the commits that went into -rc1 and tried to figure
> > > out which one could be responsible. Here are the numbers:
> > >
> > > 85.3 MB/s for 2ba2d00363 (just before on-deman readahead has been merged)
> > > 82.7 MB/s for 45426812d6 (before cond_resched() has been added into page
> > > 187.7 MB/s for c1e4fe711a4 (just before CFS scheduler has been merged)
> > > invalidation code)
> > >
> > > So the current bigest suspect is CFS, but I don't have enough numbers yet
> > > to be able to point a finger to it with 100% certainity. Hopefully soon.
>
> > I reproduced this on my Q6600 box. However, I also reproduced it with
> > 2.6.22.19. What I think you're seeing is just dbench creating a
> > massive train wreck.
>
> wasn't dbench one of those non-benchmarks that thrives on randomness and
> unfairness?
>
> Andrew said recently:
> "dbench is pretty chaotic and it could be that a good change causes
> dbench to get worse. That's happened plenty of times in the past."
>
> So I'm not inclined to worry too much about dbench in any way shape or
> form.

Well. If there is a consistent change in dbench throughput, it is
important that we at least understand the reasons for it. But we
don't necessarily want to optimise for dbench throughput.