Re: tip: bzip2/lzma now in tip:x86/setup-lzma

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 02:23:48 EST

Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 3:41 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm thinking that with "preferred" we might just use the first one in the
priority list "lzma, bzip2, gzip, uncompressed" depending on what is
installed in the kernel.

Only problem I faced with lzma is that, in some machines /usr/bin/lzma
is not installed by default which leads to error in kernel
compilations.

Can we check in kernel config that lzma is installed on machine or not.

For building the default initramfs, we'd do it in a script. I don't think there is any way to check the system for configuration options, and I would argue that it *shouldn't* be, because it creates a
silent failure condition.

-hpa