SMP timer issue

From: melwyn lobo
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 00:08:42 EST

Hello All,
Following reply from Russell on the ARM mailing list, I have posted my
question on this list.

We have ported the arm kernel 2.6.24 to ARM Cortex dual core
processor. My question is regarding timer optimization.
At present we have three timers for the two cores as follows;
1. MTU which provides the system tick and in the absence of local
timers provides IPI_TIMER messages to other processors.
2. Localtimer for CPU0
3. Localtimer for CPU1

So presently (when local timers are enabled) there are 3 interrupts
for every tick. I want to optimize the logic performed by MTU into the
local timer of CPU0 so that this one serves as the system tick. Thus
there would be no need for MTU interrupts and it would serve only as a
clock source.

My question in particular:
1. Is there some platform which has already done this ?
2. Is this possible without modifying existing kernel framework?
3. How to update jiffies during boot when localtimer has not yet been setup?

Eagerly awaiting for some advice/comments.

Thanks & Regards,
Melwyn