Re: [RFD] Automatic suspend

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 18:00:03 EST

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:36:43 -0600
"Woodruff, Richard" <r-woodruff2@xxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

I think your phases are the wrong way around.
Phase 2 is already in progress and many of the "good" drivers and
subsystems already do them.

Whole system suspend is a much more drastic thing; I don't see that
happen generically in 2009 to be honest (not to mention how fragile
linux suspend is). In addition, in hardware there does seem to be the
trend where idle and suspend are converging (just look at the OLPC)...
with chipsets powering down all unused pieces, and cpus in idle taking
basically no power, there no longer is much of a difference in reality
between suspend and good-idle...

visit http://www.lesswatts.org