Re: [patch] SLQB slab allocator (try 2)

From: Zhang, Yanmin
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 20:07:27 EST

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 21:17 +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Hi Mel,
>
> Mel Gorman wrote:
> > I haven't done much digging in here yet. Between the large page bug and
> > other patches in my inbox, I haven't had the chance yet but that doesn't
> > stop anyone else taking a look.
>
> So how big does an improvement/regression have to be not to be
> considered within noise? I mean, I randomly picked one of the results
> ("x86-64 speccpu integer tests") and ran it through my "summarize"
> script and got the following results:
>
> min max mean std_dev
> slub 0.96 1.09 1.01 0.04
> slub-min 0.95 1.10 1.00 0.04
> slub-rvrt 0.90 1.08 0.99 0.05
> slqb 0.96 1.07 1.00 0.04
>
> Apart from slub-rvrt (which seems to be regressing, interesting) all the
> allocators seem to perform equally well. Hmm?
I wonder if different compilation of kernel might cause different cache alignment
which has much impact on small result difference.

If a workload isn't slab-allocation intensive, perhaps the impact caused by different
compilation is a little bigger.

> Btw, Yanmin, do you have access to the tests Mel is running (especially
> the ones where slub-rvrt seems to do worse)?
As it takes a long time (more than 20 hours) to run cpu2006, I run cpu2000 instead
of cpu2006. Now, we are trying to integrate cpu2006 into testing infrastructure.
ïLet me check it firstly.