Re: 2.6.29 regression? Bonding tied to IPV6 in 29-rc5

From: Brian Haley
Date: Tue Feb 17 2009 - 15:10:51 EST

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
On 17 of February 2009 20:01:38 Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
Forward to bonding and netdev

On 17 of February 2009 11:52:32 J.A. Magallón wrote:
Hi all...

Don't know if this is specific for -rc5, I have jumped from 28.4 to
29-rc5. In this latest kernel, I can not install 'bonding' module
if 'ipv6' is disabled to load via modprobe.conf:

install ipv6 /bin/true

Trying bonding gives this dmesg:

bonding: Unknown symbol ndisc_build_skb
bonding: Unknown symbol in6_dev_finish_destroy
bonding: Unknown symbol ndisc_send_skb
bonding: Unknown symbol unregister_inet6addr_notifier
bonding: Unknown symbol register_inet6addr_notifier

Commenting the line in modprobe.conf makes things smooth again.
We can not disable ipv6 anymore ?
If IPv6 is disable in kernel config bonding loads. But I think it is
regression, it should be possible to disable IPv6 if not required.

This hard dependency was apparently introduced by this commit:

commit 305d552accae6afb859c493ebc7d98ca3371dae2