Re: What can OpenVZ do?

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Feb 17 2009 - 17:25:26 EST

* Dave Hansen <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 11:53 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > In any case, by designing checkpointing to reuse the existing LSM
> > callbacks, we'd hit multiple birds with the same stone. (One of
> > which is the constant complaints about the runtime costs of the LSM
> > callbacks - with checkpointing we get an independent, non-security
> > user of the facility which is a nice touch.)
>
> There's a fundamental problem with using LSM that I'm seeing
> now that I look at using it for file descriptors. The LSM
> hooks are there to say, "No, you can't do this" and abort
> whatever kernel operation was going on. That's good for
> detecting when we do something that's "bad" for checkpointing.
>
> *But* it completely falls on its face when we want to find out
> when we are doing things that are *good*. For instance, let's
> say that we open a network socket. The LSM hook sees it and
> marks us as uncheckpointable. What about when we close it?
> We've become checkpointable again. But, there's no LSM hook
> for the close side because we don't currently have a need for
> it.

Uncheckpointable should be a one-way flag anyway. We want this
to become usable, so uncheckpointable functionality should be as
painful as possible, to make sure it's getting fixed ...

> We have a couple of options:
>
> We can let uncheckpointable actions behave like security
> violations and just abort the kernel calls. The problem with
> this is that it makes it difficult to do *anything* unless
> your application is 100% supported. Pretty inconvenient,
> especially at first. Might be useful later on though.

It still beats "no checkpointing support at all in the upstream
kernel", by a wide merging. If an app fails, the more reasons to
bring checkpointing support up to production quality? We dont
want to make the 'interim' state _too_ convenient, because it
will quickly turn into the status quo.

Really, the LSM approach seems to be the right approach here. It
keeps maintenance costs very low - there's no widespread
BKL-style flaggery.

Ingo