Re: 2.6.28.[45] boot failure: request_module: runaway loop modprobebinfmt-464c [SOLVED]

From: Tilman Schmidt
Date: Wed Feb 18 2009 - 03:38:09 EST

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:01:51 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:

>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>
> Are you sure, that you don't have a 32/64 bit mismatch between the
> kernel and userspace? Like you miss 32-bit emulation in a 64-bit
> kernel, or your modprobe is 64-bit and you are trying to run it on a
> 32-bit kernel?

Aaaugh, never mind my previous reply, you were right on spot!
"make install" had picked up the wrong root partition when it
created the GRUB menu entry for the new kernel, so it actually
tried to boot an experimental 64 bit installation on a different
disk with my newly built 32 bit kernels. That'll teach me not to
choose too similar partition names.

Now to find out how "make install" creates its GRUB menu entries
and why it suddenly started to go wrong ...

Thanks,
Tilman

--
Tilman Schmidt E-Mail: tilman@xxxxxxx