Re: xfs problems (possibly after upgrading from linux kernel 2.6.27.10to .14)

From: Carsten Aulbert
Date: Wed Feb 18 2009 - 04:37:37 EST

Hi Dave,

Dave Chinner schrieb:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 03:49:16PM +0100, Carsten Aulbert wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> within the past few days we hit many XFS internal errors like these. Are these
>> errors known (and possibly already fixed)? I checked the commits till
>> 2.6.27.17 and there does not seem anything related to this.

>> Feb 16 20:34:49 n0035 kernel: [275873.335916] Filesystem "sda6": XFS internal error xfs_trans_cancel at line 1164 of file fs/xfs/xfs_
>
> A transaction shutdown on create. That implies some kind of ENOSPC
> issue.
>
>> Do you need more information or can I send these nodes into a re-install?
>
> More information. Can you get a machine into a state where you can
> trigger this condition reproducably by doing:
>
> mount filesystem
> touch /mnt/filesystem/some_new_file
>
> If you can get it to that state, and you can provide an xfs_metadump
> image of the filesystem when in that state, I can track down the
> problem and fix it.

I can try doing that on a few machines, would a metadump help on a
machine where this corruption occurred some time ago and is still in
this state?

>> Feb 16 22:01:28 n0260 kernel: [1129250.851451] Filesystem "sda6": xfs_iflush: Bad inode 1176564060 magic number 0x36b5, ptr 0xffff8801a7c06c00
>
> However, this implies some kind of memory corruption is occurring.
> That is reading the inode out of the buffer before flushing the
> in-memory state to disk. This implies someone has scribbled over
> page cache pages.
>

>> Feb 17 05:57:44 n0463 kernel: [1156816.912129] Filesystem "sda6": XFS internal error xfs_btree_check_sblock at line 307 of file fs/xfs/xfs_btree.c. Caller 0xffffffff802dd15b
>
> And that is another buffer that has been scribbled over.
> Something is corrupting the page cache, I think. Whether the
> original shutdown is caused by the some corruption, i don't
> know.

At least on two nodes we ran memtest86+ overnight and so far no error.

>> plus a few more nodes showing the same characteristics
>
> Hmmmm. Did this show up in 2.6.27.10? Or did it start occurring only
> after you upgraded from .10 to .14?

As far as I can see this only happened after the upgrade about 14 days
ago. What strikes me odd is that we only had this occurring massively on
Monday and Tuesday this week.

I don't know if a certain access pattern could trigger this somehow.

Cheers

Carsten