Re: [RFT 2/4] Add mod_timer_noact

From: Patrick McHardy
Date: Wed Feb 18 2009 - 07:33:45 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
In other words, the changelog is useless and even borderline deceptive. Not a good sign if you are trying to get a patch accepted to the kernel.

Furthermore, no performance figures were posted along with this modification - it only stated that these are "performance improvements". Especially in cases where a change slows down the common case the showing of a very substantial performance benefit is a must-have, before a patch is considered for upstream merging.

I think this is mainly a misunderstanding, Stephen posted these
patches as RFT so Rick and Eric could do benchmarks, they were
not intended for merging at this time.

In fact, the submission incorrectly stated:

| This patch set is against Patrick's netfilter next tree since
| it is where it should end up.
| | git.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kaber/nf-next-2.6.git

This is wrong, the "netfilter next tree" is not where the "Add mod_timer_noact" change should end up, and you should ask your contributors to submit changes to other subsystems to their respective maintainer trees - the timer tree in this case.

Absolutely, I wouldn't have taken it, and Dave wouldn't have taken
it from me, so no cause for alarm :)