Re: Definition of BUG on x86

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 15:10:47 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Ingo Molnar wrote:
Well, the important question is thatGCC will optimize out whatever comes after the __builtin_trap(), right? To guarantee an assert we can do something like:

__builtin_trap();
panic("should never get here");

to guarantee a message. (But realistically GCC will at most generate a build error.)

Ah, right, I remember the problem. There's no guaranteed way of getting the address of the ud2a instruction __builtin_trap generates to put it into the bug table.

Did we actually run into any instance where that failed?

It's true that it's not guaranteed, but it seems highly unlikely that it would happen in real life. We *could* do a forward search at that point, that should catch the vast majority of the failing cases, again, but once again there are no guarantees.

I guess I should ask the gcc people...

-hpa