Re: Is interrupt priority supported ?

From: Andreas Mohr
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 15:49:21 EST

Hi,

it has been for a looong time (those things tend to almost get outdated already -
witness the floppy controller misery):

# apt-cache show hwtools
Package: hwtools
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 312
Maintainer: Pierre Ancelot <eternityos@xxxxxxx>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.8-5.1
Depends: debconf, libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1)
Suggests: sysutils, hdparm, scsitools, memtest86
Conffiles:
/etc/init.d/hwtools 137e3fbdc26d90bec745a36d1ffd8661
This package is a collection of tools useful for hardware
troubleshooting and optimization (for ix86 machines):
.
irqtune: adjusts priority of interrupts (improves serial performance),
scanport: scans for hardware not already handled by Linux drivers,
memmxtest: a real mode memory test, with MMX support. You may want
to look at package memtest86 as well.
qic-02 driver and configuration utilities. Adds the qic-02 tapes support
.
Be aware that these tools require some knowledge of what are they
doing to be used properly, otherwise they may cause damage to your system.
.
Some programs that were previously part of this package have been
moved to their own packages (hdparm, scsitools, memtest86)

I don't have any recent experience with irqtune myself, though, and I cannot
authoritatively state that it actually works at the moment,
but I'd be relatively surprised if it didn't.

You might want to enable some unfortunately often still default-disabled
hardware transceiver offloading of Ethernet frames, too, via ethtool -k or so,
to possibly reduce latency.

Plus PCI latency timings, via setpci or so (but that probably won't
matter).

HTHHAND,

Andreas Mohr