Status of ext4 tools

From: J.A. MagallÃn
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 17:48:51 EST

Hi all...

I'm following the threads on ext4, but I have a couple questions, and
perhaps this can be a thread to bookmark with all the answers people
need... ;)

I have migrated some partitions to ext4 in several boxes (even my /home
on the One...and works fast), but...

- Where is the 'official' source for e4defrag ?
- I've read that e4defrag needs in-kernel support.
Is it already in mainline ?
From what kernel version ?
- I have seen that some distros refer to a package called 'e4fsprogs'.
Does that thing exist ? Where ?
- Booting:
- There seem to be patches for grub
http://lists.openwall.net/linux-ext4/2008/11/19/8
to boot ext4
- and a Google SoC called 'grub4ext4'.
-and there is also grub2 (ext4 support in svn).
What would you recommend ?

That's what I miss to move completely to ext4 ;)

Apart from that, it works pretty fine.
The thing that most surprised me was that after the needed fsck, it had
converted files with contiguous blocks to big extents ;). Nice.

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com> \ Software is like sex:
\ It's better when it's free