Re: [s390] next Feb 18: defconfig build break

From: Martin Schwidefsky
Date: Fri Feb 20 2009 - 05:24:01 EST

Hi Rusty,

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:13:26 +1030
Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's the s390 fix:
>
> Subject: s390: allow usage of string functions in linux/string.h

Thanks for the fix.

> Because when including asm/string.h from arch/s390/lib/string.c we
> don't declare the string ops we are about to define, and
> linux/string.h barfs.
>
> The fix is to declare them in this IN_ARCH_STRING_C case, but in
> general I wonder if there's a neater fix.

The out-of-line version of the string functions in
arch/s390/lib/string.c needs EXPORT_SYMBOL and other stuff. To fix the
problem without the seperate out-of-line prototypes would required to
avoid the inclusing of linux/string.h. Which would be fragile if
possible at all. So I think your patch is the best way to deal with the
problem.

--
blue skies,
Martin.