Re: [announce] Performance Counters for Linux, v6

From: Corey Ashford
Date: Fri Feb 20 2009 - 18:04:54 EST

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 14:38 -0800, Corey Ashford wrote:
There may be other non-event-related changes that will not be handled quite as well in this way. In the original email I hinted at that we may want an option for mmap'd sample buffers at some point, and so I'm not clear how you'd provide an ABI to request mmap'd buffers (you would probably need to be able to request the size and get back a pointer to the mmap'd buffer). Would this be done through a special sys_perf_counter_open call? Or through a subsequent ioctl call on the group leader after an open (which requires the counters to be initially disabled), etc.

What's stopping a regular mmap() call using the fd obtained from
sys_perf_counter_open() ?

Perhaps nothing. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that this could be done. If PCL supports this, great!

Thanks for your reply!

--
Regards,

- Corey

Corey Ashford
Software Engineer
IBM Linux Technology Center, Linux Toolchain
Beaverton, OR
503-578-3507
cjashfor@xxxxxxxxxx