Re: [git pull] x86 fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Feb 20 2009 - 21:14:27 EST

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Andi Kleen (3):
> x86, mce: reinitialize per cpu features on resume

This one causes

WARNING: arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/built-in.o(.text+0xf72): Section mismatch in reference from the function mce_resume() to the function .cpuinit.text:mce_intel_feature_init()
The function mce_resume() references
the function __cpuinit mce_intel_feature_init().
This is often because mce_resume lacks a __cpuinit annotation or the annotation of mce_intel_feature_init is wrong.

which looks like a real bug.

On UP - withot CPU hotplug - I think __cpuinit becomes __init. No? So now
mce_resume() will call some function that was long since free'd.

I didn't look closer, but I wish somebody else would. And I wish people
looked at warnings that are introduced by their new code before sending
said changes to me.

Linus