Re: [RFD] Automatic suspend

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Sat Feb 21 2009 - 04:48:00 EST

On Saturday 21 February 2009, Arve Hjønnevåg wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I don't using wakelocks in any different in this respect. When user
> >> space decides that it is ok for the kernel to suspend it should have
> >> performed all theses steps in both cases.
> >
> > If automatic suspend is to be started by the kernel, you have to make sure
> > that at least one wakelock is held until these steps are completed. That may
> > be somewhat tricky in general.
>
> That is not tricky. If your code holds a wakelock, then at least one
> wakelock is held.

I meant, if one task releases its wakelock and another one takes a wakelock,
you have to make sure there's no window between those events. Of course,
you can have a single task holding a wakelock all the time and releasing it
when it makes sure everything is ready, but then it would act as a user space
power manager anyway.

> >> A per-process (thread group) flag allows wakelocks to be implemented
> >> in a user space library. A per-thread flag does not. However, I don't
> >> see much benefit in tying this to a process instead of using a file
> >> descriptor.
> >
> > Using a flag would allow us to remove the window between checking the
> > wakelocks and freezing tasks (in principle a task may take a wakelock just
> > before it's frozen).
>
> You can check if there are wakelocks held from the same spot as you
> check your flag.

That would be _much_ more complicated and much less efficient (browsing a list
vs checking a flag). And it would require additional locking if it's to be
done in a non-racy way.

> >> This seems flexible enough to avoid race conditions, but it forces the
> >> user space power manager to poll when the kernel refuse suspend.
> >
> > And if the kernel is supposed to start automatic suspend, it has to monitor
> > all of the wakelocks. IMO, it's better to allow the power manager to poll the
> > kernel if it refuses to suspend.
>
> What is better about polling in userspace?

One kernel thread less, for example?

> >> Also, like my original wakelock patches, it breaks sleep requests through
> >> /sys/power/state when there are input events queued.
> >
> > The idea is to have both /sys/power/state and /sys/power/sleep at the same
> > time, where /sys/power/state will work just like it does right now. Sure,
> > there must be mutual exclusion between the two, but that's a matter of
> > implementation IMO.
>
> If you want to only prevent suspend though one interface, you have to
> also pass information to the driver about its suspend hook is being
> called so it can conditionally return -EBUSY. The wakelock interface
> requires less code in each driver.

Well, I don't think so. Moreover, it requires you to spread wakelocks all
over the place if you don't use the timeouted ones which, let's face it, is
hardly acceptable.

Thanks,
Rafael