Fwd: PCF8583 not detected on RiscPC

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Sat Feb 21 2009 - 14:49:39 EST

Previous mail sent just to Jean:

| Any ideas why the RTC isn't being detected on the ARM RiscPC platform?
|
| Could it be because someone's decided to regress stuff because of having
| an i2c_boardinfo structure without actually first making sure everything
| is converted over?
|
| If yes, what do I need to do to make it work? (IOW, please supply a
| patch to fix the regression or explain in detail what's required to make
| it work.)

To summarise the situation, the bus driver is:

drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-acorn.c

which is not a platform driver. It is not initialised by the platform
code. It does not provide i2c_boarddata or whatever the funky name for
that feature is.

However, PCF8583 got converted to require i2c_boarddata without first
fixing up the platform which uses it, thereby making the driver utterly
useless.

Putting i2c_boarddata into i2c-acorn.c feels wrong.

So, please either revert 02bb584f3b1cfc8188522a4d2c8881b65073a4f1 so
that the regression can be fixed (no RTC on Acorn RiscPC machines) or
provide a patch which fixes this mess that the above change causes.