Re: dma-debug: check_for_stack background?

From: Joerg Roedel
Date: Tue Jun 16 2009 - 04:15:04 EST

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 03:16:37PM +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:13:55 +0200
> Joerg Roedel <joerg.roedel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Ah, it has all been documented in plain sight for ages. Thanks for the
> > > pointer.
> >
> > Problem is that the stack might go away or could be otherwise reused
> > while the DMA is in-flight. This could cause really hard to debug
> > problems.
>
> Not true. Even if you use the stack buffer for DMA synchronously, it
> doesn't work (we had the bad code like starting dma and waiting for
> the completion).

I've not written that this is the only problem. I know that there may be
others like the one you experienced. But what I wrote could also happen
and is a problem :)

Joerg

--
| Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
Operating | Karl-Hammerschmidt-Str. 34, 85609 Dornach bei München
System |
Research | Geschäftsführer: Thomas M. McCoy, Giuliano Meroni
Center | Sitz: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis München