Re: New IDE maintainer (was Re: cmd64x: irq 14: nobody cared -system is dreadfully slow)

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Sun Jun 21 2009 - 20:53:39 EST

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 01:45:03AM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Monday 22 June 2009 01:13:43 David Miller wrote:
> > From: David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 15:57:56 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> > > From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@xxxxxxxxx>
> > > Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 00:34:22 +0200

> > > Acked-by: David S. Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > I'm going to treat IDE as pure legacy, rather than as competition
> > with the PATA drivers which is what people whould be moving over to.
> >
> > And more importantly I refuse to apply any driver patch that isn't
> > actually tested on said hardware.
> >
> > ide: Take over as maintainer.
>
> Acked-by: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> You have my full support (don't hesitate to ping me if you need some
> help) and I hope that the last few years of my of work would make your
> job relatively easy and painless.
>
> I would also like to use this occasion and thank all the people who
> have been contributing to the project during my reign. Thanks!!

Thanks, Bart.

It isn't easy to be maintainer of a subsystem that is being obsoleted
by another. It's even less easy to gracefully hand over maintenance,
as you have done. Personally, I'd love it if you could contribute to
the ATA drivers in the future. I think there are a number of ways they
could stand to be improved.

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."