Re: [git pull] drm: previous pull req + 1.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 21:05:27 EST

On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 17:24 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > As far as I can remember, all fbdev operations are done under the
> > console semaphore.
>
> Yeah, and some of them are horribly broken (ie copying data from user
> space while doing it - causing horrible things like VC switching latencies
> and invisible printk's if an oops happens during the op).
>
> Or maybe that got fixed.

Well, it does rely on userspace behaving.. ie, no accel ops are done by
the kernel in KD_GRAPHICS and userspace is -supposed- to switch to
KD_GRAPHICS before touching the fb.

In fact, nowdays, we do have the infrastructure to be smart and enforce
that. IE. Instead of using a boring remap_page_ranges() in fb_mmap() we
could use a fault handler. When in KD_TEXT, we fail them, when in
KD_GRAPHICS, we service them, and we unmap_mapping_range() when
switching. Something like that...

Dunno how that interacts with the new DRM thingy though.

Cheers,
Ben.