Re: [perf] howto switch from pfmon

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 09:57:40 EST

* Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to play with perfcounters in current git (actually in latest
> > mmotm). I'd like to reproduce what I previously did with pfmon, but I
> > couldn't so far.
> >
> > Something like
> > pfmon --follow-exec 'foobar' -e
> > CPU_TO_DRAM_REQUESTS_TO_TARGET_NODE:LOCAL_TO_0,CPU_TO_DRAM_REQUESTS_TO_TARGET_NODE:LOCAL_TO_1
> > -- <shell script>
> > gives the number of memory accesses to dram node #0 and #1 for all
> > processes whose name matches 'foobar'.
>
> My understanding based on recent emails on the topic is that the
> perfctr gods decreed you are not to do any of this because they
> cannot think of a use case for it, therefore none exist.

You are working for Intel, right?

Is the trolling of AMD related threads now an officially sanctioned
activity by Intel, or do you do it out of personal motivation, in
your free time? I'd really like to know, because what you do here is
quite unprofessional and quite a distraction.

[ Btw., 'perfctr' is the name of another project, the one you wanted
to attack here is called 'perfcounters'. ]

Ingo