Re: [patch] eventfd - revised interface and cleanups (2nd rev)

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 17:45:23 EST

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:25:05 -0700 (PDT)
Davide Libenzi <davidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > That isn't for us to decide. Entire syscalls can be disabled in config.
>
> That is not a well defined separate syscall though. It's a member/feature
> of the aiocb.

I don't know what this means, really.

AIO eventfd support is a relatively recently added enhancement to AIO,
is it not? Applications which continue to use the pre-May07 AIO
features will continue to work as before (they darn well better). So
for such applications, AIO=y/EVENTFD=n kernels are usable and useful,
and eliminating this option is a loss?

Either way, I believe that this change should be unbundled from the
unrelated KVM one so we can handle it separately.