Re: recordmcount commutes with "ld -r"

From: John Reiser
Date: Mon Aug 17 2009 - 11:52:55 EST

On 08/17/2009 07:33 AM, Steven Rostedt wrote:

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, John Reiser wrote:

recordmcount commutes with "ld -r". ...

Running the linking on the built-in.o and *.ko files is a good idea.

I'll see what it takes to patch scripts/Makefile.build and any other
build-control file that is required.

I noticed another property. Logically, recordmcount could modify a
.o file in place. ...
I have written recordmcount.c which does such modify-in-place ...

I would be interested in seeing it. Do you require any of the elf
libraries to use this? If so, that would make the kernel build
dependent on having the development elf libraries installed.

No, my recordmcount.c is completely standalone except for libc.so.
I'll sent it to you (and anyone else who asks) separately.

I've thought about converting recordmcount into a C file before, but I was
a bit hesitant on rewriting elf routines (although I've done it before
and they are quite trivial) but even more concerned on breaking other
archs.

Yes, the major question is whether R_ARM_ABS32, R_IA64_IMM64, R_PPC64_ADDR64,
R_SH_DIR32, R_SPARC_64, R_390_64, and R_390_32 are the correct relocation
enums for a plain address. That will require testers...