Re: Instantaneous snapshot of CPU schedule

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 04:48:49 EST

* J K Rai <jk.anurag@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Is there any utility using which we can take current (instantaneous)
> snapshot of process schedule on the linux based system from user land.
> Like use a system call or command to know what is running on each of
> the cpus 0..n-1 (assuming n cpus in the system). Output could be like
> tuple (pid, cpu_no).
>
> If such utility does not exist then kindly throw some light / ideas so
> that it could be implemented.

We have a tool that can record scheduling events and analyze/display
them, see:

perf sched record

perf sched latency
perf sched map
perf sched trace
perf sched replay

the latest version is in:

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/tip.git/README

do 'cd tools/perf; make -j install' to get the 'perf' command.

Now, your specific question was 'instantaneous'. I wouldnt mind such an
extension to 'perf sched record':

perf sched record --snapshot

or so. Then 'perf sched map' would show which task is running on which
CPU. Other output modes would be possible too.

Would you be interested in extending 'perf sched' in such a fashion?

Ingo