USB - scanner no longer working on desktop system

From: Phil Reynolds
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 05:59:23 EST

My scanner, an Epson Perfection 2400, has recently stopped working on my desktop system - it was fine for the last year. It still works on my laptop.

Both systems are running Debian lenny, the main difference being the kernel version. Currently, the desktop has 2.6.26-19lenny1 - 19lenny2 and 19 are also listed as available. Due to its Intel 5100 wireless, the laptop has a newer kernel - 2.6.30-7~bpo50+1 - with 2.6.30-8~bpo50+1 also listed as available.

I am not sure if the kernel on the desktop has changed since the scanner last worked, but will try the other available versions this evening unless I hear that it is a definite hardware fault, which I suspect it might be.

The desktop system also has a USB keyboard, trackball and joystick, and flash drives also work on it. I have not tried my IDE connector recently but that worked last time I tried it. I did have to return one of a pair of flash drives, the supplier said the returned one worked but replaced it anyway as I had returned only one and kept the other, which worked.

When I connect the scanner, or if connected at boot, I would normally expect lsusb to show it. If I try it now, it takes a long time to return and does not list the scanner.

I have attached a usbmon dump showing what happens when I connect the scanner to the desktop, leaving it connected until the lsusb times out. (compressed)

I would be grateful if someone could advise. If this is a hardware fault, it could only be either the PSU or the motherboard, and I am not sure how I could easily determine which. If however it is a kernel problem, I can probably find a way to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

(As shown in my signature I am not on the list.)

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx