Re: [RFC] new -stable tag variant, Git workflow question

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 16:29:44 EST

* Junio C Hamano <gitster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Yeah. This new tagging scheme doesnt really allow anything 'new' per se
> > - it just helps the existing practice some more. All these commits were
> > -stable candidates anyway, in exactly the same order - the only
> > difference the new tagging scheme adds here is a more organized,
> > in-upsream-Git way of communicating it to you.
>
> I am just a bystander, but if it were truly in-upstream-git way,
> wouldn't you be forking a branch from the tagged target release (the
> latest of 2.6.32.X), and queuing only the changes meant for -stable to
> it, and giving the name of the branch to git people and sending out
> patches from that branch for e-mailed review and application?
>
> There won't be any special tagging required, only a dedicated branch.
>
> Or am I missing something?

There's no Git flow towards -stable. It's either forwarded emails, or
tags in the upstream kernel. Also, _only_ commits that were pulled by
Linus are eligible for -stable.

So the pull requests all first go to Linus - then can any commit flow to
-stable.

But even if it was possible to send pull requests to Greg, marking
commits as -stable candidates is more natural in the commit log itself.

That informs people ('hey, that's a dangerous patch, dont mark it for
-stable!!' or 'hey, why isnt this commit tagged to stable??'), and it
also ensures it that only commits from Linus's tree flow towards
-stable.

Ingo