Re: [GIT PULL] percpu fixes for 2.6.32-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 10:18:34 EST

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Tejun Heo wrote:

> 11/12/2009 07:36 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > Breaking strings mid-sentence is something we try not to do. (If you
> > know about places that do it 'quite often' then those places need fixing
> > too.)
>
> Oh... I do that all the time and I see a lot of them around too.

I hate them. I do greps for error messages, and it's annoying as hell if
it's hard to find.

'checkpatch' is the major reason for them, but I think we've fixed
checkpath long ago to not warn about long lines if they are due to a long
string.

Strings should basically be broken up only at '\n' characters, so

printk("This is a made-up example.\n"
"Ok like this\n");

is fine, because you can expect to grep for "made-up example", but not
over the newline.

Linus