i2c_detect Vs i2c_probe

From: saurabh chokshi
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 01:33:34 EST

Hello ,

I am emailing with reference to the thread on linux kernel.

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0304.0/0495.html

I am currently writing i2c driver for Power Supply. I also have the same query.

Whenever I insert the module, and if the i2c_detect detects the device
with address mentioned in normal_i2c array, then mydriver_detect gets
called.

However, I was just wondering that when i2c_probe gets called. You can
explicitly call i2c_probe and pass i2c_attach function pointer. Could
you please share your knowledge with me?

Best Regards,