RE: 2.6.31.4: WARNING: at arch/x86/kernel/hpet.c:390hpet_next_event+0x70/0x80() [occurs when ACPI_PROCESSOR=y]

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Sat Nov 14 2009 - 03:48:56 EST

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 10:43 -0800, Justin Piszcz wrote:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 01:38 -0800, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:
Yes. Yes. This is a hardware errata. I have a patch to workaround this and
waiting on the errata description to get published..

Can we at least have some PCI quirk or whatever until you can push the
final workaround out so peoples machines do not explode ?

Its a harmless bug functionality-wise and should not have any side
effect other than triggering the WARN_ON_ONCE in hpet next event code.

Thanks,
Venki

Venki,

When the following patch is applied though: (courtesy of john stultz)

Justin,

I am missing something in here.
Without the below patch, on 2.6.31.4 and ACPI_PROCESSOR loaded (either
as module or builtin), you may see the WARNING. But, that should not
cause any other problems with C-states, P-states, or anything else.
Is that what you are seeing?

The below patch is not a workaround for the problem. Infact it will make
situation worse with constant stream of prinkts and can reduce the
C-state residency and turbo upside.

Thanks,
Venki

Venki,

Without the below patch and ACPI_PROCESSOR loaded:

1. the warning? yes--however..
2. my processor does not enter turbo boost mode without the processor
module
-
3. the patch shows that the hpet writes are failing-- when the processor
module is loaded, the cpu/mobo/vrm emits a high-pitch noise-- my guess
is due to the hpet write failures, failing over and over, this does
not occur when the processor module is not loaded.

Justin.